Monday, June 01, 2015

Day 14: Part II of my Louvre Tour

I walked through the Salle Henri II, created by combining the King Louis XIV's anteroom and dressing room, and into the Bronzes Room. This room has been used for royal audiences and was once used to house the antiquities collection of the Marquis Campana, purchased in 1863 by Napoleon III.

The bronzes there now are very interesting. I hope I get to see them again, I'd love to spend more time in this room.

This scale has lovely weights shaped like heads.



A "groupe dionysiaque".


View of the Cour Carree of the window next to the Escalier Henri II. The Louvre is HUGE and has many wings and interior courtyards.


The Escalier (staircase) Henri II was built by Lescot and is said to be one of the finest of the Renaissance. The barrel vault ceiling decoration was made in the workshop of Jean Goujon between 1551 and 1555. It has the monogram and crescent moon emblem of Henry II as well as references to the goddess Diana. One side leads down to the Salle des Carytatides and the other up to the room of French paintings.


The next fourteen (yes, fourteen!) rooms kind of ran together. The first four are the Salle du Conseil d'Etat. They used to be courtier apartments and later, the offices of the Council of state. The rooms were begun in 1639.

Then I went through nine rooms called Musee Charles X that were formerly the queen's apartments.

The great thing about taking the Louvre as Palace tour is that it isn't crowded. So many fantastic things to see, in comfort.


Portrait of Louis XIV.



The ceilings are intense!


The Salle des Boiseries was built between 1668 and 1678. In 1831 a committee decided to install rooms inside to showcase wood paneling and ceiling decor from the former drawing room of Henry II and bedchamber of Lous VIX in the Palais du Louvre and from the Chambre du Conseil in the Queen Anne of Austria Pavilion at the Chateau de Vincennes. The paneling and decorations were lovely but what I was really interested in was the Egyptian stuff housed in there.





One of the gorgeous ceiling decorations.


Off limits part of the palace. I wish I could have gotten out there and checked out the view.


The Galerie Campana was rebuilt in 1863 after Napoleon III purchased Marquis Campana's collection of Greek ceramics. In this wing, I was the only person there for room after room after room. There wasn't even a security guard. Just me, alone. It was great.


Out of the window I could see the river Seine, the Pont des Arts and the boat that we took wonderful dinner cruise on, Le Bateaux Calife (the blue boat moored at the far bank).


Completely alone in the palace!


I got to see Victory of Samothrace again (I love her!) as I sailed through to the Salles Percier et Fontaine and the Salle Duchatel (I think that's where the ceiling painting below is).



I didn't know this on my first visit...on this tour, I found out that The Salon is in the Louvre. THE SALON. The official art exhibit of the Academie des Beaux-Arts where Academy members' art was shown. Wow! It's the Salon Carre', and was redecorated after a fire in 1661. In 1725 it was used by the Academie Royal de Peinture et de Sculpture for exhibits. It used to have a glass roof, but from 1849-1851 it was decorated with stuccoes by Simart. Today it houses Italian Renaissance masterpieces (my favorite). I think the ceiling stuccoes are super creepy.



This is one of the Italian paintings in there...I took this photo on my first trip. When I didn't know I was in THE Salon.


Then I went into the Grande Galerie, a long hall that was built between 1595 and 1610 to connect the Palais du Louvre to the Palais des Tuileries (which was burned down in 1871 by the Paris Commune). Today it houses Italian art. Much of it gruesome.




I'll have one more post about my tour of the Louvre as Palace. Next time, we start out with a celebrity: Mona Lisa.

2 comments:

Mary Lou Peters said...

Oh, my goodness, Celeste, you saw it ALL! How long did you stay in the Louvre? Did you take along your sleeping bag? Thank you SOSOSOSOSOSO much for taking us along on your journey! Loved every minute of it, even the gruesome art! I always think of art as uplifting and cheerful. But there must have been a reason that things like this were painted, if only to remind us that this barbaric behavior has been going on for centuries. I loved being on your tour---thank you!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Thanks for sharing your tour… this is so interesting.