Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 8: LOOP yarn, Victoria & Albert Museum

On Day 8, we took the Tube out to Islington so I could visit a wonderful yarn shop named LOOP.

First we had a wonderful breakfast at a theater cafe named The Cut (on a street with the same name). Sourdough, spinach, smoked haddock, poached egg and Hollandaise.


On the way to the Tube, saw this graffiti. God Save the Squat!


And this...in London, they have ambulance motorcycles.


Found the yarn shop in Camden Passage. Hooray!



I bought yarn and a pattern I've had my eye on.


Then we took the Tube back into central London and spent the majority of our time in the Victoria and Albert museum. I could spend days there. There were several art students and one large art class roaming about.



I got to see some della Robbia terracottas, which I love, love, love.


There were a couple very large rooms full of copies of famous artworks, created for art study.


Including a replica of Michelangelo's David. On the back of the statue's pedestal is the fig leaf that was previously used to cover his assets to protect Victorian sensibilities.



Other rooms have art and objects from all over the world. Like this mechanical statue of a Bengal tiger eating a Brit. It's called Tipu's Tiger. It has a crank that causes the man's arm to flail and roaring sounds. Sadly, did not get to witness that.


My favorite item was Leonardo da Vinci's journal. So inspiring to see!


I highly recommend the Victoria and Albert museum. I only got to see a sliver of it, and hope to return.

2 comments:

Mary Lou Peters said...

Thank you for taking me to the Victoria and Albert Museum, Celeste. I have missed this both times I've been in London. And that yarn shop--how in the world did you know about it?

Wendy McMillan said...

What a wonderful treat to get to experience some of your trip, thanks Celeste, you're very good at the blogging thing!