Monday, March 05, 2012

Hawaii Art Journal in Progress

My art journal about our upcoming trip is coming right along. I am having a blast creating it. This is the first time I've tried doing something like this.

The first page was staring at me intimidatingly with it's whiteness, so I covered it in a watercolor wash.



Then I made a border of the names of all the volcanic craters that will be very close to where we will sleep: Kilauea crater, Pu'u 'O'o vent, Halema'uma'u crater, Kilauea Iki crater (hope to hike down in that one!), Keanakako'i crater and Lua Manu crater.

I'll be able to write on the inside blank part.



For the next spread (still in progress), I decoupaged on yellow tissue paper and a map of the area around Volcanoes National Park and Volcano Village, where we will be staying. The map shows "Escape Road". To get a fire effect, I painted on acrylic paint and then wiped with a baby wipe.



Tonight I stamped on this quote by Mark Twain. He wrote this about this very volcano, in his "Letters from the Sandwich Islands", and refers to the red glow on the faces of his companions when he turned around to look at them.

"The place below looked like the infernal regions and these men like half-cooled devils just come up on a furlough." - Mark Twain



Last night I stumbled upon an online tutorial on how to make origami flap/envelopes, perfect for art journaling and stowing found "ephemera" on my trip. I folded a couple from photocopies of a map of the Big Island.

Having a grand time and looking forward to my trip.

1 comment:

Felipe Zapata said...

Looks good. You are your mama's daughter.