Saturday, September 03, 2011

Learning to Draw

When my mom travels, sometimes she will paint watercolor postcards of where she is and send them to us. I love receiving a mini painting and it seems like a really fun way to experience where you are while traveling...I'd like to be able to do it too.

To that end, I have been working with the exercises in "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". I used this book 20 years or so ago and got good results, but did not keep up with it.

In more recent years, I have taught myself to knit and crochet. Previously knitting seemed completely mysterious and out of reach. But I learned through practice how to do it and now I can knit and read a book at the same time! (Book held in a cookbook holder.)

Hopefully practice will allow me to create travel sketches. I sure hope so!

Here is a "Before" drawing of my hand that I did recently, followed by one that I did after only a few exercises from the book (and only 5 exercise drawings between the two). I have a long way to go but I am thrilled with the obvious progress in only a short time.



No comments: