Monday, September 05, 2011

Jet Lagging Myself In Advance & Travel Journaling

Ugh! Not feeling my best because I am adjusting my sleep schedule prior to our Italy trip. We are already night people, so just switching to morning is hard enough without a 6 hour time difference to Europe. I've gotten up when I planned to for the past 3 days, but last night I was still up late. Mitch isn't trying to switch his sleep schedule so that makes it harder. Usually we are up until around 2 AM and sleep until 10 AM. I'm now getting up at 7:45 and I plan on bumping it to 7 next week, then 6 and so on. I'd rather feel tired and grumpy at home than on my trip.

I've already started my travel journal. I'm using ideas from Dave Fox's book, "Globejotting". I also have seen Italian art shows here in the States. Earlier in the year I saw a fantastic exhibition of Venetian paintings by Titian and others at the High museum in Atlanta. I saw a Vatican exhibit in Ft. Lauderdale. But best of all was an exhibit of watercolor block prints by Salvadore Dali, who illustrated Dante's "Divine Comedy". Mitch and I saw that one with our friends Beth Rene' and Hajro, right here in Athens! FOR FREE at the Georgia Museum! Mitch and I went back a second time too.



Beth Rene', Hajro and Mitch checking out the levels of Dante's Hell.


One of the journaling exercises from Globejotting is to come up with daily themes for your writing, rather than just a blow-by-blow account of what you are doing. I think it's a good idea, and will help with photography too. So far I have brainstormed 67 theme ideas. More than I need!

Here's a sample:

Relics (we're going to see St. Catherine's actual shrunken head in Siena, and Galileo's middle finger in his Florence museum...pointing towards Rome)

Counting the Davids (there's a lot of David reproductions and kitsch

Climbing towers and domes

Food and Drink

Riding a bus through Tuscany

Martyrs and Legends

Things Seen Above (there's statues, family crests and more up high on the walls)

La passeggiata (custom of evening walks to see and be seen

Famous Artists and Sidewalk Artists

Nuns

People in Uniform

Sunrises and Sunsets

Lovers

Bridges

Even with this sample list, I have more themes than trip days! Here's a photo of that famous bridge, the Ponte Vecchio. I can't wait to see it in person.




No comments: