Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fighting Jetlag in Advance

At our house we are night owls. I already had a natural proclivity towards being a night owl, but Mitch is even worse and in recent times we have wound up staying awake until 2 and even 3 am! That's really not good for me, because when night falls, so does my energy and I don't get as much done in a day.

I'd been getting up with Mitch at 9 or 10 am. That's 4 in the afternoon in Florence, and I want to be in the museums EARLY to beat crowds.

The past few weeks I started adjusting my sleep times. The first week I bumped it by 2 hours, from 10 am to 8 am. I found that a 2 hour jump is really hard. One hour change is much easier (and this is borne out by a NASA study I read about).

Sunday I made it to 6 am. Still only noon in Florence, but I'm not done yet. Next week I'll be at 5 am. Later, I am going to try advice I read online and bump it one hour a night for the 3 days before leaving.

Mitch? He's still sleeping until 9 or 10!

Here's what it looked like in my yard at 6 am this morning.



I try to be quiet so I won't disturb Mitch's sleep (even though he woke me up twice crashing into things during the night last night). I've been journaling or drawing in the morning. I already used up a third of my travel journal with pre-trip journaling activities so I figured I'd better switch to a different journal before I have no room in my trip journal! I dug out my old leather journal and luckily there was a brand new blank book in it, thank you past-Me.

I photocopied some of the journaling exercises from the book, "Globejotting: How To Write Extraordinary Travel Journals" by Dave Fox and pasted them in. It's a VERY useful book, and funny too! I'm also really enjoying "Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler" by Lavinia Spalding. Not only will trip journaling help me remember everything more vividly and bring lots of enjoyment, it will be a great souvenir.

Time for more coffee! It's only 7:30 and Mitch is still snoring.

No comments: