Monday, February 26, 2007

Yoga Booty Ballet evaluation

I received my Yoga Booty Ballet evaluation in the mail today. I scored as "high pass", which surprised me. Not too shabby for a 40 y.o. broad in a class full of 20-somethings with professional dance training.

The Yoga Booty Ballet teacher training is different from their exercise videos put out by BeachBody. The training is really an aerobic dance class focused on hip hop, with a small bit of the ballet work and yoga thrown in. No upper body strength moves or ab work (as in the videos).

Yoga was hardly covered in the training; instead, you are instructed to get your yoga training elsewhere. I think that's a great idea, but it should be explained upfront in the class description.

Also not revealed in the class description is that you will be judged on a numeric scale of 1-10 while leading the group in dance moves, and judged solo while teaching a segment of YBB that they choose for you.

Additionally, there is a four page written exam that focuses on rote memorization from a lengthy manual that you don't get to see until you're at the class (example: I got a minus point for answering "energizing" on one question, instead of "energy". HUNH?!). The first day of class goes until 10 PM and the next days from 8 am to 6 pm. You're working pretty much the whole time, not much time left over for memorizing a manual. At night, I only had energy to eat dinner, soak in epsom salts and collapse. Evidently my middle aged brain has not yet lost it's ability to retain, since I did fine on the test. I don't think I would have done as well if I hadn't already been teaching yoga awhile and understand some things because of it.

Below is a photo of us practicing our dance moves. That's me in the immediate foreground.

No comments: