Monday, January 01, 2007

We're Moving!

Just went under contract for a home in Athens, GA. It's a college town with a great music scene, theater and restaurants. And it's small enough that it still feels easy to get around and you're close to everything. I already found a fitness bellydance class I want to try.

I'm surprised at the house we chose...I would have never pictured myself in a ranch, but this home has so many features that we want and need. When I walked in, I could really picture myself living here.

It's on 0.75 acres and because of the land front and back, and high privacy hedges on both sides, it feels really private inside. The house has wonderful oak floors throughout on the main floor. 3 BR, 2 BA on the main floor, with a HUGE front room, a "family room" with fireplace that looks out onto the back woods through French doors, a nice kitchen with a door/screen out to the carport, and the most wonderful retro bathrooms...the main bathroom with tub is PINK tile! We absolutely love it, although I know some people hate that kind of thing. We are already planning on a flamingo theme. The master BR has a shower bathroom that is all green tile. The tile is in mint condition and gorgeous.

The downstairs is a 900 sq ft finished basement with private outside patio and full bathroom that DH will use for his office. Laundry room down there, too.

The neighborhood dead ends into cul-de-sacs. No through traffic. It is really quiet with established plantings/trees.

My two exterior photos below are obviously winter photos, when much of the landscaping is dormant. But there is a sweet olive tree blooming out back and the camellias by the front picture windows has buds. Looks like the light pole at the front drive will have a blooming flower vine come Spring.


This is a limited shot of the back deck, it was raining and I was huddled under the overhang. It's a 2-level deck, and there's a small fish pond on the lower level.


Here's one view of the front room...check out those slanted windows! I read that ranch homes were deliberately designed with an open floor plan and big windows, to give the feel of the outside and inside being together. It certainly feels that way in this room.


Other side of the front room...DH's black piano will be finding a home back on that wall.


Looking from the front room, into the "family" room. Love the fireplace!

Family room looks out onto the back deck and wooded lot. Down the hall are the bedrooms, and they all have CLOSETS! (unlike our present home) Two of the BR have two closets each. After living in a home with no storage, I am obsessed with closets.

Kitchen...check the view out the window.

Basement French doors to patio.

Soon to be DH's new office with fireplace in basement...

Once I get back in there, I will post some photos of the pink bathroom. Whoo Hoo!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow! What space! So exciting, to be moving. Can't wait to see the pink tile.

Trev Diesel said...

Very nice! That deck and backyard in particular are amazing. You're going to love it!

Anonymous said...

You will love it. Maybe you can get us to visit Athens and get into the Athens scene...Kristy

gratefulbear said...

The pics look great! And I love the idea that you'll be a little bit closer to Michael & Kato & me. :o)