Monday, November 13, 2006

More Chichen Itza Photos

Here are some more photos from Chichen Itza, the Mayan city in the Yucatan.

Below: the Observatory. Amazing, isn't it?

Below: this is as close as I could get to this... up high on the side of this building is a human head being swallowed by a snake mouth. If you are looking at this online, you can click on the photo and get a closer look (on my computer I am able to click on it twice and it zooms in for a good look). I'm not sure if it works for those of you receiving this via email...somebody try it and let me know.

Below: an iguana sunning itself on top of a ruin.

Below: another Mayan human figure. He's looking towards the left, and has a circular earring with a hole in the middle, and a feathered headdress. Can you make it out? OH MY GOD! I just zoomed in on this carving and saw something I didn't even notice when I was there in person. This Mayan figure is holding a severed human head in his hand (maybe one in each hand)! This carving was found in the Ballfield; I will post later about their hacky-sack like game that ends in decapitation. WHOA!

Below: another bloodthirsty Eagle.

Below: saw several of these in the "modern" part of the ruin. Fantastic.


1 comment:

gratefulbear said...

Great photos -- so glad you're sharing them on your blog! I especially like the iguana. He looks rather thoughtful.