Friday, August 25, 2006

Dehydrating My Food

With the help of a book called "Heal Your Headache", I have been able to lessen the severity of my migraine condition (even though it hasn't been completely cured). I learned that many food additives in commercial, packaged foods are migraine triggers, so I've been home cooking pretty much every meal from scratch. This has made a huge difference in my pain level.

The hard part comes when it's time to travel, especially as a vegan. I get worried about finding protein sources, since everyone seems to want to feed vegans and vegetarians nothing but salad. And I've noticed that drops in my blood sugar also worsen my migraines.

I've been traveling a lot this year, participating in yoga teacher training. And I have some vacations coming up, and the holidays on the horizon. I investigated freeze dried foods for traveling, but those seem to have additives. One brand of "vegetarian soup" even had chicken broth!

Investigating books for backpacker meals, I stumbled across a few for home dehydrating. The new, modern food dehydrators have their own heat source and a fan to circulate the air. I decided to try it.

My first forays have been a success! The first photo is homemade hummus, straight out of the food processor and then in the dehydrated form. The second photo is homemade seitan (gluten) jerky. The jerky is TERRIFIC! I only had one piece to photograph because after it was made, DH and I promptly started eating it. I made the seitan myself from scratch, cooking it in a "sausage" flavored broth. Dehydrating concentrated the flavors of the pepper and liquid smoke, just like meat jerky.

Now that's traveling food!



2 comments:

Andrew said...

You're right, travelling makes it harder to stick to a health-related diet. Good luck with yours!

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Good to know that dehydrating thing works so well, Celeste!