Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cracker Jacks for Grownups

Here is a tasty recipe from the Chex website that I modified. My version eliminates dairy and cereal additives that may cause migraine (ex: barley malt). Generic cereal brands seem to be the only ones that have ingredients you'll recognize, like oats and salt. Read labels. If you use maple syrup, it will be vegan. I used honey, which is not vegan, but I decided to use up what I have in the cabinets. My version also eliminates nuts, a possible migraine trigger - I substituted pumpkin seeds and it tastes great. I learned about microwaving the mix from one of Sarah Kramer's cookbooks.

Chai Crunch
(Cracker Jacks for Grown Ups)

makes around 5 cups

1.5 cups generic brand mini shredded wheat squares
1.5 cups generic brand Cheerio-style cereal
1.5 cups salted mini pretzels
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds or nuts of your choice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup syrup sweetener (honey, maple syrup, maybe agave nectar or rice syrup)
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

optional: 1/2 cup dried fruit (I eliminated that since it is a possible migraine trigger, but this would taste really good with some dried fruit). The original recipe used banana chips. I think raisins would be very tasty.

1. Place all ingredients in a gallon ziplock bag and mush around to distribute the flavorings evenly through the cereals.

2. Remove from bag and place in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave 4-6 minutes depending on your microwave, stirring well every 2 minutes.

3. Remove from microwave and allow to cool. It will be hot! Don't scorch your tongue. 8-)

6 comments:

DEREK said...

yum yum, sounds good

gratefulbear said...

It does indeed sound good! I wonder if a lazy guy like me could do a "shortcut" by using chai tea mix...

Photogirl said...

Mmm, sounds delish. Nice name by the way ;)

isaiah said...

OMG This DOES sound great.... I bet it's delicious!

Off subject:

I tagged you. I'm apologizing in advance. See my blog and follow orders (just do it, OK?)

Buford said...

I made this recipe for a camping trip, and it was a huge hit!!! Thank you very much for the post.

I added a table spoon of honey, but I add honey to almost everything.

By the way Isaiah is my brother in-law. He tagged me also. Here are my five.

1. I floss my teeth while driving.

2. I Give birth during sleep (not literally, of course - but that's what it looks like is happening!)

3. I feel truly connected to waterways and current and I sometimes feel more at home on the water than I do at home.

4. I have delusions of grandeur-focused mainly on my name going down in history such as, Hannibal the Carthaginian, Alexander the Great, Gangues Khan, or even Julius Cesar.

5. I am deeply embarrassed of my chest and belly. I will soon need a training bra for my slowly growing man breasts.

Lee-n-NOLA said...

Finally got around to making a version of this. I used generic wheat chex and Kashi Heart to Heart oats (They are a bit sweet, but they have HEART shaped pieces in with the donut shapes. Irresistable little hearts!)along with the other ingredients. I did substitute Splenda for the sweetener. Well, Yum! It's so good, I had to hide it from myself. Mine tended to scorch in the bottom of the bowl and needed to be stirred more often. Microwaves vary. It's great to do this without heating up the kitchen. Thanks for the recipe. Lee-n-NOLA