Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In May, I attended my first yoga teacher training, put on by YogaFit. I like YogaFit because they are structured like fitness classes (i.e., good warmup, work, then cool down), and because YogaFit classes offer several options for each pose so the student can pick the one that suits their ability. In most yoga classes I've attended, they went immediately to Down Dogs without warmups, or included several repetitions of unmodified Sun Salutations in a beginner class. When I was very overweight I attended one "beginner" yoga class like that, and it was humiliating. That class also went straight to full Tree pose, which was impossible for me, and the teacher offered no modifications.

Part of my yoga teacher training includes giving away 8 hours of free yoga classes in my community. I have already taught two classes and it is extremely gratifying to share yoga in an accessible format that can be individualized to each student's needs and abilities. I love seeing everyone leave with smiles on their faces. One student who I met in Weight Watchers requested that I provide a take-home sheet of the poses so she can work on them during the week.

This weekend I travel to Winston Salem to attend a Level 2 YogaFit class. I'm hoping to fit in a visit to Old Salem. Old Salem is a re-enactment village of an actual Moravian settlement in the area, with restored homes and shops from Colonial times. People in costume demonstrate traditional craftsmaking and trades, and the buildings look beautiful in the photos on their website.

Below are photos from the Level 1 teacher training I attended.

4 comments:

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Best of luck in your new adventure, Celeste!

gratefulbear said...

Being an overweight bear, I've been to several yoga classes where I did not feel comfortable. The ones I've enjoyed the most are Kundalini Yoga classes, where the focus is on moving energy, not getting the poses just right. I'm really looking forward to taking one of your YogaFit classes!

Welcome to the blogosphere! I've put a link to your blog on mine, under "Atlanta Friends with Blogs." It's high time you had a blog! The world needs to hear what you have to say!

bearhugs,
Darrell

Nolagirlie said...

I'm so proud of you for following your heart and beginning your yoga classes. You are a constant inspiration to me and I feel blessed every day to have you in my life.

Is there a way to subscribe to your blog on this site?

Love you!
Your Sistah

911EMD said...

Look at you go girl!! Good luck on your upcoming YogaFit classes and congratulations on the success of your previous two classes.